I made yoghurt yesterday. I was planning on it anyway, but I also had some soured milk that I thought I'd try for the occasion. Here is the "recipe" I used & how I did it:
4 cups slightly soured skim milk
1-1 1/3 cups dry milk powder
3-4 T local honey (optional)
2 T store bought yoghurt with live cultures
Bring soured milk & milk powder ALMOST to a boil. Remove from heat before it begins to boil. (you will see tiny bubbles begin to form around the edge of the milk surface). Add yoghurt. Mix well. Add honey, mix well. Pour hot milk mixture into clean mason jars. I like the wide mouth for several reasons. One of those reasons- to make yoghurt cheese (that's my next post!!). Set 3 trays on your dehydrator & turn it on. Set your jars on the top try.
Lay dehydrator lid on top,
and drape a hand towel over the whole thing.

Let this run for about 6-8 hours. Your mixture will thicken as the time goes on. It is naturally sweetened with the honey, but feel free to add more sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.). You can also chop or blenderise fruits to add.
4 cups slightly soured skim milk
1-1 1/3 cups dry milk powder
3-4 T local honey (optional)
2 T store bought yoghurt with live cultures
Bring soured milk & milk powder ALMOST to a boil. Remove from heat before it begins to boil. (you will see tiny bubbles begin to form around the edge of the milk surface). Add yoghurt. Mix well. Add honey, mix well. Pour hot milk mixture into clean mason jars. I like the wide mouth for several reasons. One of those reasons- to make yoghurt cheese (that's my next post!!). Set 3 trays on your dehydrator & turn it on. Set your jars on the top try.
Lay dehydrator lid on top,
and drape a hand towel over the whole thing.
Let this run for about 6-8 hours. Your mixture will thicken as the time goes on. It is naturally sweetened with the honey, but feel free to add more sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.). You can also chop or blenderise fruits to add.
Comments